Research Scientist I
Functional Area: Research
Location: San Diego, CA
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking an outstanding Protein Scientist to join our drug discovery team in San Diego. The successful candidate should have a strong scientific background and proven record of accomplishments in:
- Labeling and detecting protein behavior
- Trafficking in live and fixed cells including primary cells.
- A good command of image processing and analysis methods and extensive experience in studying intracellular proteins using cutting edge high resolution microscopy methods (e.g. super-resolution, lattice-light sheet) is desired.
- Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary team of biologists, chemists and engineers to develop and apply novel in-cell protein detection methods to enable in vitro assays for drug discovery.
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field with minimum of 3-5 years of experience.
- Proven record and expertise in cell biology, with strong skills in state of the art techniques of live cell imaging, protein labeling and cell culture.
- Demonstrated ability to collect, review and analyze data from internal team and external collaborators.
- Deductive reasoning and critical thinking is a must Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to present data at project team or other meetings as appropriate are essential
- Candidates with experience in live cell protein trafficking will be favorably considered
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment.
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society is a plus.
- Experience in primary cells a plus.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
click above to download
click above to download