1360 South Loop Road
Alameda, California 94502
In 1888, physician and drug store proprietor Dr. Wallace C. Abbott began producing accurate, scientifically formulated medications with the goal of providing more effective therapies to patients and the physicians providing their care.
Under the pioneering leadership of Dr. Abbott, our company was among the founders of the scientific practice of pharmacy, expanding its business to meet rising global health needs by championing new areas of medical research. By continually entering new areas—both scientific and geographic—we’ve established a now long-standing tradition of helping people live healthier lives around the world.
A HISTORY OF NURTURING HUMAN POTENTIAL:
Dr. Abbott’s spirit of entrepreneurship, innovation and caring lives on in our culture, our business and our contributions to medical science. Read below for historical moments that highlight our pursuit of the extraordinary throughout the years.
1888: Production of “alkaloidal” medicine granules by Dr. Wallace C. Abbott, a 30-year-old practicing physician, begins in the rear of his People’s Drug Store in Chicago. Remedies contain the active ingredients of plants and herbs. First-year total sales reach $2,000.
1894: Incorporated as the Abbott Alkaloidal Company. Abbott is a medical publisher as well as a manufacturer.
1907: Expansion outside the United States for the first time with an office in London, England.
1916: Production of our first synthetic medicine, Chlorazene, a breakthrough antiseptic developed by British chemist Dr. Henry Dakin to treat wounded soldiers in World War I.
1922: Development of Butyn by scientists Dr. Ernest Volwiler and Dr. Roger Adams, the first in a long line of breakthrough anesthetics to come from our company.
1929: Initial public offering provides shares for the first time in the year of the stock market crash that began the Great Depression. While the timing seems inauspicious, our stock grows in value from that first day—and approximately 10,000 times over so far.
1932: Expansion continues even at the height of the Great Depression thanks to our leadership in new fields such as vitamins and intravenous solutions. “Few of the leading industrial organizations of the country,” notes Nation’s Commerce magazine, “can show a sounder record for the past year than the Abbott Laboratories.”
1935: Introduction of Pentothal, which will be the world’s leading anesthetic for years to come and win our inventors, Dr. Volwiler and Dr. Donalee Tabern, induction into the U.S. National Inventors Hall of Fame.
A FUTURE FULL OF POSSIBILITIES:
- For more than 125 years, we’ve adapted to an increasingly complex healthcare environment by keeping our focus where it belongs—on helping people achieve their best possible health, in all stages of life, around the world. And that’s a goal we’ll continue to pursue far into the future.
- We’re dedicated to fulfilling the promise of human potential, in all places, in all aspects and stages of life. We believe that health is the key to that promise. Because at our healthiest, we’re capable of achieving anything. And that’s why our pursuit of helping people achieve their best health at every life stage will never end. This is how we put that belief into practice each and every day.
- We are here for the people we serve in their pursuit of healthy lives. This has been the way of Abbott for more than a century—passionately and thoughtfully translating science into lasting contributions to health.
- Our products encircle life, from newborns to aging adults, from nutrition and diagnostics through medical care and pharmaceutical therapy.
- We advance leading-edge science and technologies that hold the potential for significant improvements to health and to the practice of healthcare.
- We value our diversity—that of our products, technologies, markets and people—and believe that diverse perspectives combined with shared goals inspire new ideas and better ways of addressing changing health needs.
- We focus on exceptional performance—a hallmark of Abbott people worldwide—demanding of ourselves and each other because our work impacts people’s lives.
- We strive to earn the trust of those we serve by committing to the highest standards of quality, excellence in personal relationships, and behavior characterized by honesty, fairness and integrity.
- We sustain success—for our business and the people we serve—by staying true to key tenets upon which our company was founded over a century ago: innovative care and a desire to make a meaningful difference in all that we do.
Krebs Biochemicals & Industries Limited
click above to visit
this company / organization